Sep 21, 2011

Sita sings the blues!!



I came across this movie while wandering on youtube and I must say I L.O.V.E.D. it!

I’m a huge fan of animated movies. It just fascinates me how they make the cartoons so alive and full of emotions. I proudly say that I don’t miss a single animated movie that releases. But I don’t know how I missed this one. :) [Later when I googled it (of course I would right?) found out that this one was limited edition kinda film and wasn’t released around the world..huff saved my pride!!]

So the film is about Ramayana! I, like every other kid in India, grew up listening to stories from Ramayana. When I listened to these stories first, I had little [or no] knowledge of relationships. I believed what I heard. And over the years, never really thought of questioning what was deep engraved on my mind.

Rama – the ideal worrier, the ideal king, the ideal son, ideal human being!! But was he really an ideal husband? A king who changed his virtues based on one of his subjects thinking…a lover who did not trust purity of his parner even after she walked on fire..a husband who abandoned his wife just to be good in his people’s eyes.. The film explains Sita’s pain in dark comic way.

The story parallely reveals Nina Paley's [producer-director-writer-animator-(everything) of this film] real life story, whose husband came to India and dumped her over an email. Other than the very delicate plot, the film shows extraordinary animation effects and lovely songs from all-time-awesome jazz singer Annette Hanshaw.

Not that Mr.Husband is mean to me or anything, but I just can’t get this song out of my head!!



P.S. The film is available on youtube!

No comments: