Apr 12, 2011

Eggplant Fry

My lunch today was traditional Konkani “Vangyache Kaap” or what you can call Eggplant Fry.



I’m not big fan of eggplants. Mainly because you can never guess if there is any worm inside it just by looking at its pretty purple look. Secondly, I think it is ‘strictly’ vegetarian food. I mean whenever I go out with my meat-hater friends they order some eggplant recipe and later don’t seem to enjoy eating it. I keep asking, why eggplant? Why not cauliflower? Or okra? But I guess most of the fancy restaurants serve some slimy recipe of eggplant with delicious names. God bless eggplant eaters!


Anyways. This is the only eggplant recipe which I really like. Its simple, delicious and not-slimy at all!



You will need:


Eggplant: 1 medium, sliced

GG paste: 1 spoon

Chilly powder: 1 spoon

Cumin powder: 1spoon

Corn flour: 1 spoon

Gram flour: 1 spoon

Breadcrumbs: 2 spoons

Curry leaves: 8-10

Salt, oil



Season eggplant slices with ½ spoon GG paste, chilly powder, cumin powder corn flour, gram flour and salt. Put in some water to make the coating even. Marinate for 20 minutes.

On non stick pan, heat oil and put curry leaves and rest of the GG paste. Coat the marinated eggplant slices with breadcrumbs and fry them until golden brown from both sides.

Your delicious eggplant fry is ready. Serve it with lime wedges!





I had it for lunch with chapati. This can be served as a appetizer as well. I think it will taste good with linguini, never tried it though.


Do try this recipe and let me know if you liked it.


Love,

Pia

No comments: